Medical Tourism and
Cosmetic Surgery in South Africa
For years, numerous Europeans - mainly from the UK, Germany and Italy - travel to South Africa to undergo plastic surgery. They come here for the skills of South African surgeons, the excellently equipped private clinics and the favourable cost structure.
Some of the most popular surgical corrections are breast enlargement or reduction, lifting of breasts, corrections of nose and ears, liposuction, stomach and face lifts. Also in great demand are eye surgery and eye lazer treatments, fertility treatments as well as dental surgery and tooth implants.
The advantages at a glance
1. Currency Advantage The favourable exchange rate (1 Rand = ca 0,11 Euro) makes surgery in South Africa much cheaper than is is in Europe. Including costs for airline ticket and hotel rates, one can still save thousands.
2. High Standard of Medical Practice Anyone who knows the country, will confirm that the South African medicine is of world standard and can easily measure up to the American or European. Some Medical innovations came from South Africa - the most famous being the first heart transplant in 1967. The hospitals are throughout excellently equipped. The luxurious finishes and furnishings impress even the most fastidious patient. Not to forget the standard and friendliness of the nursing staff.
3. Strict Professional Ethics und High Competence The "Association of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons of South Africa" has standards of admission as strict as the best in Europe. Its members are scientifically and technically up-to-date and have the experience of many years in practice. European patients in South Africa can't help noticing the relaxed and matter-of-fact manner, in which the surgeons treat them. Plastic surgery has a long tradition in South Africa. For an affluent South African lady it is just a matter of course to have a facelift, bodystyling, breast surgery or other beauty treatments done.
4. Recovery in Wonderful Retreats For the time after the hospital stay, the patient has a choice of first-class hotels and guest houses in South Africa, where one can relax, recover and be pampered. Many of the venues have excellent spa facilities.
5. The Country's Beauty South Africa is one of the most beautiful tourist destinations in the world. What you save in doctor's fees you can spend on a safari, a trip through the country, or a stay at a game lodge. South Africa offers a tremendous variety of attractive places, first-class hotels or cosy guest houses as well as an excellent gastronomy.